Re: EEE会議(ヒロシマ原爆の責任:Japan Times記事).......................................................2003.8.5

先ほどご紹介したJapan Timesの記事"Responsibility for Hiroshima"に関して、小生が関係している米国のEメール会議でも色々な意見が出てきております。これに対し、小生も私見の一端を披露しておきました。ご参考まで。小生の見方に異論のある方はどうぞご遠慮なく。--KK

Just a short comment on today's Japan Times article " Responsibility for
Hiroshima":

Frankly speaking, I tend to see a similarity between Japan in August 1945
and DPRK in 2003.
The Japanese government then was too busy sending diplomatic cables to
Washington (through Swiss and Swedish governments) imploring the guarantee
of the maintenance of the Imperial system to accept an unconditional
surrender under the Potsdam Declaration.  The PDRK today is desparately
continuing brinkmanship diplomacy to get an American guarantee for the Kim
dynasty's survival.  It seems to me that they would do literally anything
and everything for that supreme objective; they would not care even if half
of DPRK people would perish either by hunger or American missiles.

You may not like such an analogy between the two, but it may help
in clarifying the complicated situation sometimes.

Fiftyeight years ago James Burns, then Secretary of State, recommended
President Truman to withdraw the crucial paragraph guaranteeing "no regime
change" ("kokutai-goji") from the final draft of the Potsdam Declaration
(which Henry L. Stimson insisted to be included) in order to gain the time
necessary for a Hiroshima bomb, so it is said.  Today who is withholding the
assurance of non-aggression for Pyongyang,--Rumsfeld, Wolfowits, who else?

K. Kaneko

Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 11:23 PM
Subject: Responsibility for Hiroshima